We honor the BASIS Independent Brooklyn Class of 2021 and celebrate news of their college acceptances to date. A majority of our graduating students started with us in middle school, and they had a strong foundation from which to rise to the academic challenges presented in our high school program. Seniors began their last year virtually during a pandemic, and just this month the option of the COVID-19 vaccine was opened to them. This change hopefully marks a turning point that will permit them to experience campus life this fall. We look ahead to their bright future, confident in their preparation to be a force of positive change in our world.
“The Class of 2021 should stand proud in their individual and collective accomplishments,” said Head of School Hadley Ruggles. “Individually, they carved out personal identities that match their passions and what they hope to accomplish in the world. Collectively, they developed lasting relationships with teachers, friends, and administrators, which aided in their efforts in the college search process.”
“It has been my greatest professional honor to witness their growth–supporting them when they requested it, but mostly granting them the autonomy to explore and achieve their goals,” continued Ms. Ruggles. “These independent thinkers will not shy away from a challenge and will confidently go in the direction of their dreams.”
“During the past four years, our seniors have wholeheartedly embraced the task of seeking their individualized college fit, which is what I counsel every student towards at BASIS Independent Brooklyn,” commented College Counselor Mr. Brauch. “As these students grew throughout their process, they became avid and critical reflectors and researchers, showing mastery in the classroom, examining and chasing after their passions inside and outside of school, and expanding their college research to not only include schools across the United States but also abroad.”
Some highlights of the Class of 2021:
- 19% of our graduating students were accepted to universities and liberal arts colleges ranked in the top 15 nationally
- 31% of our graduates were offered spots at universities in the top 25 ranked national and international universities
- The majority of the Class of 2021 (84%) received acceptances from national and globally-ranked schools in the top 50
Class of 2021 Acceptances Include:
Arizona State University
Carnegie Mellon University
George Washington University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Imperial College London (UK)
Johns Hopkins University
New York University
Pennsylvania State University – College of Engineering
Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
University of Arizona
University of Bristol (UK)
University of California – Berkeley
University of Edinburgh (UK)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
University of Pennsylvania
University of Rochester
University of Southern California
University of St. Andrews (UK)
University of Texas at Austin
University of Toronto (Canada)
University of Wisconsin – Madison
College of William and Mary
This is just a sample of the colleges the BASIS Independent Brooklyn Class of 2021 have been accepted to. Visit their blog for a complete listing.
“This year, we saw a great increase in applications to schools in Canada and the UK, with students earning acceptances to schools such as the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, McGill University, Imperial College London, and the University of Edinburgh to name a few,” shared Mr. Brauch. “Domestically, our students continued to apply to schools across all parts of the United States. They earned acceptances at schools representing our widest range of geographic diversity yet!”
Students gained acceptance to schools including:
- On the West Coast including Stanford University, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and UC San Diego
- Across the middle of the country such as The Ohio State University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Pittsburgh, University of Michigan, and Case Western University
- In the Mid-Atlantic region including the University of Virginia, Georgetown University, Carnegie Mellon, and American University
- In the Northeast such as Haverford College, Brandeis University, Northeastern, Boston University, and Tufts University
- In the Southeast including Duke University, University of Miami, and Clemson University
- Across New York State including Cornell University, Columbia University, Hamilton College, SUNY Binghamton, Skidmore College, and New York University
Congratulations to the BASIS Independent Brooklyn Class of 2021!
This post originally appeared on the BASIS Independent Brooklyn Eureka! blog.
Our tradition of academic excellence extends to all of our schools across the United States, as well as our sister schools in China. View the college acceptances for BASIS International Schools Class of 2021 here.
Visit our careers website to explore teaching and administrative opportunities with BASIS Independent Schools!